Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
On 25/05/12 11:22, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> I've seen the news articles about the new laws concerning cookies[1].
> From what I can tell from the ICO website[1] there is no exemption from
> this law for personal or non-profit making websites.
>
> A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set as a
> result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it seems I
> should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a chance to
> consent and change their mind.
>
> So, has everyone else done this? ;)

Err, no. But wordpress.org says "there are cookies for logged in users
and for commenters", so it should be OK for a site where the average
user just views the pages. One could try arguing that a user who
interacts with a site by logging in or adding a comment should expect
cookies to be involved.

cheers

Chris
--