Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories
hantslug@??? wrote:
> Having successfully installed KUbuntu 6.100 on a spare machine I set about
> updating it in order to install the "missing" (from my point of view)
> packages.
>
> I have been trying at least to be friendly to it, Al, honest. ;-)
>
> I have googled till my fingers are sore. It took ages to discover that I
> ought to have entered "Ubuntu repositories" as the search term, not "KUbuntu
> repositories". I did so, and duly used the info I finally gathered to alter
> my sources list. To no avail.
>
> Here is a sample of the error messages I am getting, from the edited
> sources.list. But I got the same error from the original, and for every
> package rither version attempted to get. I have deleted "gb" from the
> beginning of the line (after http etc., of course) and added multiverse. (As
> per the one example of a sources.list I found on the Ubuntu site.)
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates Release.gpg
> Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
>
> Help! Please! Pretty please! I am losing my hair fast enough at the moment
> without my tearing it out. :-(

[Assumption: X is up and running]

Bring up Synaptic, select 'Settings' and then 'Repositories' and check
those you want to enable. I believe those should point to the GB mirrors
by default (http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/).

Aside from that, are other DNS names resolving Lisi? I mention this
because an nslookup from my Ubuntu machine here has no problem with
'archive.ubuntu.com':

sean@bender:~$ nslookup archive.ubuntu.com

Server:         217.169.20.20
Address:        217.169.20.20#53