Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories
I hang my head in shame! "Always ask first whether the
computer/printer/scanner/otherdevice is a) plugged in and b) turned on". And
I didn't use my own advice. :-(
[snip]
> (K)Ubuntu have GUI applications that make it "easier" to manage your
> sources.list and manage the installation of updates and new software. I
> strongly recommend you at least start with those rather than manually
> edit sources.list from the get-go.

I can't find one. It's apparent lack is one of the reasons why I have never
got on with Ubuntu. I am not good at remembering commands - nor, as is
evident, good at changing files. I _like_ having my hand held a bit.

Now I know for a fact that there is one, I have found it, of course. :-(

It would help if I didn't panic, of course....

> > Here is a sample of the error messages I am getting, from the edited
> > sources.list. But I got the same error from the original, and for every
> > package rither version attempted to get. I have deleted "gb" from the
> > beginning of the line (after http etc., of course)
>
> Why remove gb. from them? Aren't you in the UK? the gb. ensures you are
> using a local mirror.

Because they didn't work and I changed them to the only other sources list I
was able to find. But they still didn't work because....

> > and added multiverse. (As
> > per the one example of a sources.list I found on the Ubuntu site.)
> >
> > Err http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates Release.gpg
> > Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
>
> DNS problem. Does it do that when you have gb. in front? How is the
> machine connected to the net?

Yes - see above.

And Sean got it in one - I am not even reaching the router. So I got out the
file Hugo had done for me some while ago and copied it as far as it seemed at
all relevant. Still no go. Having now used the marvellous tool, I have
discovered that for some weird non-apparent reason my manually entered
network details had been accepted, but my manually entered DNS settings had

I shall have a good read of the relevant wiki etc. before next Saturday.

Thanks! :-))

Now to do the update I was trying to do.

Lisi