Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Thanks!! was: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories
On 07/01/07, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
> Here is a sample of the error messages I am getting, from the edited
> sources.list. But I got the same error from the original, and for every
> package rither version attempted to get. I have deleted "gb" from the
> beginning of the line (after http etc., of course) and added multiverse. (As
> per the one example of a sources.list I found on the Ubuntu site.)
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates Release.gpg
> Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'

It's failing to look up archive.ubuntu.com. That name resolves fine
here, so perhaps you have a DNS misconfiguration, or your machine is
unable to communicate with the Internet.

I'd approach the problem like this:

- Try to look up other public hostnames using a commandline tool like
"host" or "dig".
- Verifying that the machine has a working network interface,
correctly configured for your network ("sudo ifconfig -a") and can
ping other hosts on the network.
- Verifying that there is a sensible default route.

If you post the results of some of those commands, I have every
confidence that you'll get further assistance.