Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu repositories

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e19100.hantslug.org.uk.27362': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 7 19:53:25 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 19:11 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Having successfully installed KUbuntu 6.100 on a spare machine I set about
> updating it in order to install the "missing" (from my point of view)
> packages.

Hurrah!

> I have googled till my fingers are sore. It took ages to discover that I
> ought to have entered "Ubuntu repositories" as the search term, not "KUbuntu
> repositories". I did so, and duly used the info I finally gathered to alter
> my sources list. To no avail.

Ok, first thing is, don't start with google. For all things (K)Ubuntu at
least start on their wiki [0], even if you move off somewhere else
later.

Once there, you can navigate to the resources or search. I would
recommend you click "Documentation" [1] then "Kubuntu desktop guide" [2]
which is a great guide for the beginner to Kubuntu. Section 3 [3] is
titled "Adding, Removing and Updating Applications". There is a
subsection there called "Managing repositories".

(K)Ubuntu have GUI applications that make it "easier" to manage your
sources.list and manage the installation of updates and new software. I
strongly recommend you at least start with those rather than manually
edit sources.list from the get-go.

> Here is a sample of the error messages I am getting, from the edited
> sources.list. But I got the same error from the original, and for every
> package rither version attempted to get. I have deleted "gb" from the
> beginning of the line (after http etc., of course)

Why remove gb. from them? Aren't you in the UK? the gb. ensures you are
using a local mirror.

> and added multiverse. (As
> per the one example of a sources.list I found on the Ubuntu site.)
>
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates Release.gpg
> Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'

DNS problem. Does it do that when you have gb. in front? How is the
machine connected to the net?

Cheers,
Al.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/