[Hampshire] Ethernet over mains

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains
Hi,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Ethernet over mains
jobbies to extend my network out of my office. Devolo are the
market leader and openly support Linux, so I'll probably go with
them, BUT, is it worth more for 200Mbps over 85Mbps?

I don't expect to be running two networks at each end, one end will
have a PC and the other will have the existing Gig switched network.
The quoted speed is with a following wind and the speed of the network
as a whole not any point to point connection, so it's really quite
a bit less than the quoted figures.

I think my usage would be running a notebook at one end with X sessions
back to my main systems and possibly streaming audio (not video).

Dabs et al are flogging a pair of 85 units for GBP80 and a pair of
200 units for GBP115.

Is an ~85Mbps hub fast enough for X? Or should I just buy the faster
units and not worry...! ;-)

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux? Il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher.
    -- anon