[Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses
Hi all

[Very ot I'm afraid]

My father-in-law has just come up with another gem - and as it's been quite some time since I've done any electronics, I thought I'd ask for confirmation of my suspicions.

Apparently he switched on his PC and it promptly blew a circuit breaker back at his house's distribution box! Now as I recall, P=IV. I=13 Amps, V=240 so unless his power supply is something like 3000 Watts (enough for a kettle or electric fire), there isn't much chance of the culprit being his PC. There isn't much else in the room (or on the circuit) he uses - nothing like a kettle or electric fire anyway!

So I've suggested he:
a) plugs a kettle into the same wall socket - to see if it trips the circuit breaker.
b) moves the computer downstairs - to see if he can get it to work.

Any other obvious things I can try? Has anyone else had a situation where a PC has blown a domestic fuse?

Cheers
Rob