Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:35:02 +0100, rob@??? said:

> Now as I recall, P=IV. I=13 Amps, V=240 so unless his power supply is
> something like 3000 Watts (enough for a kettle or electric fire), there
> isn't much chance of the culprit being his PC.

It's quite a bit more complex than that, quite apart from most domestic
ring mains being fused/cb'd at 30A, not 13A. You need to consider the
total load on the ring - being silly, if he already had two kettles on,
it would only take a modest power-on surge to take out the c/b.

Firstly, does the c/b consistently trip every time he powers the PC on?
I'd expect the plug fuse to blow first (but not if the ring is heavily
loaded). Other than that, your suggestion to try the PC on a different
ring is a good one.

Keith