Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses
> Apparently he switched on his PC and it promptly blew a circuit breaker
> back at his house's distribution box!

His PSU is dying. A replacement will cost about fiteen quid. Not replacing
it may lead to the sort of fire I was talking about just the other day...

> Now as I recall, P=IV. I=13
> Amps, V=240 so unless his power supply is something like 3000 Watts
> (enough for a kettle or electric fire), there isn't much chance of the
> culprit being his PC.

Your analysis is flawed, I'm afraid. Remember that we're talking about
instantaneous current, not time-averaged.

If you want to see a PC blow fuses, I've got one that will take out
anything it's attached to...

> Any other obvious things I can try?

Change the PSU. Yesterday.

> Has anyone else had a situation
> where a PC has blown a domestic fuse?

Ho yuss. I have a 1U box that flashes blue if you try to plug it in. Very
briefly, obviously...

Vic.