Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] PCs blowing domestic fuses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x573d8100.hantslug.org.uk.23974': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Aug 27 21:02:49 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Rob,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:35:02PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
>    Apparently he switched on his PC and it promptly blew a circuit
>    breaker back at his house's distribution box!   Now as I recall,
>    P=IV.   I=13 Amps, V=240 so unless his power supply is something like
>    3000 Watts (enough for a kettle or electric fire), there isn't much
>    chance of the culprit being his PC.  There isn't much else in the room
>    (or on the circuit) he uses - nothing like a kettle or electric fire
>    anyway!

>    So I've suggested he:

>    a) plugs a kettle into the same wall socket - to see if it trips the
>    circuit breaker.

>    b) moves the computer downstairs - to see if he can get it to work.

c) gets a new PSU for the computer?

>    Any other obvious things I can try?   Has anyone else had a situation
>    where a PC has blown a domestic fuse?

One day my UPS shut itself down, and kept doing so every time I
turned it back on again. I eventually tracked it down to one
machine. I unplugged that machine from the UPS and plugged it
directly into a wallsocket, at which point there was a loud bang and
flames were observed coming out of the PSU. This also blew the
circuit breaker.

Amazingly the PSU itself was the only casualty.

Cheers,
Andy