Re: [Hampshire] install linux without internet connection?

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] install linux without internet connection?
On Thursday 18 October 2007 18:35, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Peter Alefounder wrote:
> > Can anyine give advice on how to install an up-to-date version of Linux
> > without having an internet connection, please?
> >
> > I note that SuSE 10.2 is available on 5 CDs, but 10.3 is on just 1 CD. I
> > think that must rely on an external web site for software. Is SuSE 10.2
> > really the best I can do?
> >
> > Would it possible to obtain, for example, Debian on CDs and install it
> > without internet access? The software I would want is nothing out of the
> > ordinary - openoffice.org, GIMP, C, Perl, Apache, web browsers, something
> > to write CDs. Would my graphics card cause any problem - nVIDIA GeForce4
> > (MSI G4MX460 to be precise)?
>
> At risk of baiting Jon 'u*****' Lewis here, Ubuntu Gutsy comes in on one
> CD and will (I think) satisfy your needs as specified above. It's not
> entirely unlike Debian either, and is nVidia-friendly.
>
> <sean ducks>
>
> Failing that most distros are available from 3rd parties who download
> them and burn them to disc for a small fee. Check out the small ads in
> Linux mags or micromart's classifieds.

Yes, I have seen it: several DVDs or a _lot_ of CDs. But I would agree with
the others that you would be unlikely to need them all.

> Finally, I'd be very surprised if a plea to the list for installation
> media went unanswered.

I'd be more than happy to burn you a set - just let me know if you would like
me to do so, and whether you want CDs or DVDs - and I would need an address,
off line, of course. ;-)

HTH
Lisi