Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but …

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but you can install it)

> What do people in the Linux community think of OS X anyway?

If you're asking for opinions, here's mine:
If you know a lot about computers, OS X makes it a pain to just "get
things done". If I want to do something at the command line on Linux, I
just hit a key and it's there. On OS X, I have to find the Applications
folder, then work out whether it's considered an application or a utility,
then find the Terminal icon. It's still Bash, but it's not useful unless
it's as readily available as the GUI.
The same goes for any application that's not in the dock. (By comparison
on KDE I can hit Alt+Space to bring up Katapult and type the first few
letters of the app's name, and it's there).

There's various other things that bother me about the interface in
general, like how closing an application's window leaves the program
running in the dock, so it's essentially another minimise button. Also it
lacks the level of customisability I get from KDE, and the versions I use
don't have multiple virtual desktops (although I believe they're in 10.5?)

In summary, I can use OS X, but I don't unless I'm doing something like
web browsing that doesn't involve more than using 1 GUI application.

Just my 2 pence.

Cheers,
Mark