Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok,it's not factory linux but y…

Author: Peter McGowan
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok,it's not factory linux but you can install it)

> What do people in the Linux community think of OS X anyway? It's
> pretty close to FreeBSD in many ways I believe. I did notice that it's
> getting ZFS soon too :)

Personally (and I'll probably be flamed for this), I think OS X is an
absolutely superb desktop environment that KDE and Gnome are just way
behind in terms of style and functionality. Font rendering in particular
is excellent, the icons are just beautiful, and things Just Work. OS X
makes me want to use it in a way that Gnome or KDE just don't. I'm a
huge Linux fan too (it's my job), but personally, give me a MacBook Pro
with OS X any day over a Linux desktop.

BTW a lot of Darwin (the underlying OS in OS X) is open source
(http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.1.5/)

Peter