Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but …

Author: Stuart Matheson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but you can install it)
>> What do people in the Linux community think of OS X anyway? It's
>> pretty close to FreeBSD in many ways I believe. I did notice that
>> it's getting ZFS soon too :)
>>
> Personally (and I'll probably be flamed for this), I think OS X is
> an absolutely superb desktop environment that KDE and Gnome are
> just way behind in terms of style and functionality. Font rendering
> in particular is excellent, the icons are just beautiful, and
> things Just Work. OS X makes me want to use it in a way that Gnome
> or KDE just don't. I'm a huge Linux fan too (it's my job), but
> personally, give me a MacBook Pro with OS X any day over a Linux
> desktop.

That's Just Work™ by the way :) Fonts certainly do look very good and
the icon's are tops. Of course when Apple pays the bills it's easy to
get everyone to focus on developing a cohesive solution. Not being
able to just pop up an app on another desktop can occasionally be a
pain, but aqua does look superb. That said I think that some of the
new linux interfaces are actually looking better than OS X. Well,
perhaps until Apple (almost pointlessly?) change it subtly for the
next release.

I certainly have missed some of the configurability of linux though.
Oh, and the machine specs for a basic interface are a lot lower on
linux too.

Stu.