Re: [Hampshire] Mini-ITX

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mini-ITX
Hi,

I have a mini-ITX box which I use as a server. It is cheap to run (only needs a tiny PSU) and installed Debian Etch with no problems.

I've not used the newer Atom-based machines. I would advise caution if you decide to get an older machine second hand (as I did.) My machine has a 500MHz Eden C3 in it. I can only make it recognise 256MB of RAM (even though the spec says 512) and it is noticeably slower than the 550MHz Celeron it replaced (but at least I can hear myself think in the office now - the old machine was a 1u rackmount and had an outrageously loud blower). I am running Gnome on it so I am making it work. I would hope the newer generation chips are better (I'd certainly give one a try.

Have you had a look at the boards and cases available at linitx.com?

Cheers,
Paul.