Re: [Hampshire] Broadband usage

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband usage
On Thursday 18 December 2008 10:46:19 Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Owain Clarke wrote:
> > There are packages which depend on your level of usage, and I'm wondering
> > if there is a way of logging my current usage level. Any ideas?
>
> pretty much every unlimited package has caps these days! :-(
>
> There are a few exceptional providers who actually provide what they
> offer - we use Zen for work lines. I have to say I am impressed with
> thier management console - and they provdie usage stats there.
>
> I use gkrellm at home - it gives me daily and monthly usage figures.
> One word of warning - depending upon config a reboot can reset your
> stats.
>
> However as I am on the incompetent NTHell, I do not worry about
> usage too much - I frequently underuse then overrun thier 'caps'.
>
> Jacqui

I tried Zen a while ago for one on the lines at work after much praise of
there service, it only took one problem to decide to leave and return to
Newnet. The tech support guy would not deviate an inch from his script of how
to resolve the issue, continuely blaming the router and telling me I had to
buy a replacement router before he would escalate to BT. In the end I phoned
up BT and told them there was a lot of noise on the line and the line kept
dropping out (no dial tone). Turned out some heating guys had nicked (as in
cut) the phone cable when they installed a new heater flue in the unit next
door.

But this is the problem asking for this sort of advice, while somebody will of
had great service from company A, somebody will always of had lousy service
from the same company. It all depends on the guy that answers the phone.

Tim

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google TalkT and most webmails