[Hampshire] S-Video

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] S-Video
Hi all

In practice (as opposed to technicalities) is there much of a difference between s-video and VGA?

Reason I ask is I want to upgrade my monitor and (for the size I need) a TV is a worthwhile option as I'm not much of a gamer. Trouble is, the ones that specify "PC input" (which I'm assuming means VGA) are all out of stock or too expensive. There are, however, several with s-video in my price range and in stock. So if I just get a vga to s-video adapter (£4) - is there anything else I need to worry about?

FWIW the output will be coming from a kvm switch but I can soon connect the adapter to the switch.

ISTR doing this a few years back and the resulting image wasn't great but I thought I'd check.

Cheers
Rob