Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online

Author: Greg Auger
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online
Amazon MP3 has recently made itself available in the UK and is very
cheap! Track choice is slightly limited although not bad. Disadvantage
is you can only download tracks once, so make sure you've backed up.
I' d also install the downloader before purchasing anything, I believe
it can be tricky to install on distros it doesn't support.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/mp3

My other choice is 7Digital. It is more expensive, however offers
higher quality files and unlimited re-downloads. Additionally it has a
far wider choice of DRM-free music (all four of the major labels).
http://www.7digital.co.uk

iTunes is now totally DRM-free as well, however music is in the AAC
format. GStreamer for example cannot write tags for AAC format, so
must be converted to MP3/OGG first (causing a quality loss).

Hope that helps you,
Greg Auger.