Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Something a bit different:
>
> http://www.emusic.com/
>
> Slightly different model from the others in that you pay a monthly
> subscription which allows you to download a set number of DRM-free
> tracks per month depending on the level of the subscription.

I have been an eMusic subscriber for almost two years. I initially chose a
subscription of 30 tracks / month at a cost of 30p per track. On taking
the option to pay yearly, that reduced to 24p per track. I know of someone
who has a higher level subscription (i.e. he buys more tracks) and gets them
at 14p per track. Compare that to iTunes prices.

You have to have a list of artists / albums you are interested in, so
that when
the end of your month comes, you can use the monthly allowance. I end up
in this situation regularly.

There is a lot there, but much is relatively obscure. You have to be
willing to
explore, and/or have esoteric tastes.

The Linux client works fine.