Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online
Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Having recently been introduced to last.fm, I'm now finding music
> online that I might like to have 'offline' copies of. Is it possible
> to purchase tracks from somewhere like iTunes, if one doesn't have the
> iTunes application? Or do I need a Windows VM?
>
> I did find that Amazon had a linux app for downloading mp3 but then I
> discovered the service is only available in the USA :(
>
> Are there any other ways?

Something a bit different:

http://www.emusic.com/

Slightly different model from the others in that you pay a monthly
subscription which allows you to download a set number of DRM-free
tracks per month depending on the level of the subscription.

I know the big providers are now DRM-free too, but emusic has been for a
number of years, and in the beginning this limited the music they
offered on account them avoiding the big players (Sony, Warner, etc.)
who insisted their songs were DRM-encumbered.

I signed up a couple of years back and quit pretty soon on account of a
lack of choice and not being able to carry over unused songs from one
month to the next, which left me scouring the catalogue for anything to
use up my allowance. I suspect that if they now carry the music on offer
from the big labels at least one aspect of that will have changed for
the good.

Most of the music I purchase online these days is via ebay - I am buying
loads of used LPs, much to my wife's annoyance! Interestingly I am
buying quite a few new releases in this format too - hmv, amazon and
ebay being my main suppliers there.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa