Re: [Hampshire] Domestic ADSL ISPs

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Domestic ADSL ISPs

> You can't get rid of BT completely because they own the wires and the
> exchanges.

You *often* can't get rid of BT. Sometimes you're lucky :-)

> Having said that, 'BT' is not a single company, it's a large group of
> companies. BT Broadband is one of them. Openreach, who actually send
> out vans to mend the wires, is another. And they don't necessarily talk
> to each other.

OpenReach are legally prohibited from treating BT Broadband any
differently from any other ISP - to do otherwise would be to hand an
enormous advantage to BTB, and the regulator didn't want that happening.

Sadly, OpenReach seem to try their hardest not to talk to any ISPs. They
were murderously bureaucratic when I last worked for an ISP, and they
appear to have gotten worse since then :-(

Vic.