[Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought
I know that there are some who have been involved in this sort of
thing, so I thought I would ask.

I have a need to record some audio. I will probably be able to patch
into the PA system. At the moment an audio cassette is used. The
problem with this is that normally more than one person wants a copy
of the recording, and copies of copies are not so good.

What I am after is a cheap and simple method of recording that can
then later be transferred to computer for editing and CD or MP3
creation. I am not after "Studio" quality. This is only spoken word.
It would also be good to be able to record at least two hours
uninterrupted.

Ideally some sort of Hard Disk recorder would be good, but I don't
know what is available. I don't want to use a computer, as I would
like to keep it as simple as a tape deck to operate. Whatever
technology is used, it must not become a burden to use.

All suggestions welcome :-)
--
Philip Stubbs