Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought

Author: John Morton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I know that there are some who have been involved in this sort of
> thing, so I thought I would ask.
>
> I have a need to record some audio. I will probably be able to patch
> into the PA system. At the moment an audio cassette is used. The
> problem with this is that normally more than one person wants a copy
> of the recording, and copies of copies are not so good.

I record a two hour meeting every month using Audacity running on TP600X
so nothing special in the hardware department.

> What I am after is a cheap and simple method of recording that can
> then later be transferred to computer for editing and CD or MP3
> creation. I am not after "Studio" quality. This is only spoken word.
> It would also be good to be able to record at least two hours
> uninterrupted.

It's ultimately a much simpler/elegant solution than recording to tape
then transferring to HDD. You can set the bitrate, mono or stereo etc.

> Ideally some sort of Hard Disk recorder would be good, but I don't
> know what is available. I don't want to use a computer, as I would
> like to keep it as simple as a tape deck to operate. Whatever
> technology is used, it must not become a burden to use.

It almost couldn't be easier. Click the record button, pause as
necessary, resume as necessary and save on exit.

HTH
John Morton