Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought
Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 22:19 +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
>> What I am after is a cheap and simple method of recording that can
>> then later be transferred to computer for editing and CD or MP3
>> creation. I am not after "Studio" quality. This is only spoken word.
>> It would also be good to be able to record at least two hours
>> uninterrupted.
>>

> My MP3 player records. It has line and optical in and can record direct
> to MP3 or WAV and appears as a mass storage device under Linux, so you
> can just drag/drop the files on/off the device.
>
> It's an iRiver IHP-140 - recently rebadged as H-140. They don't sell
> them new anymore as they have been replaced by newer (IMO inferior)
> models.
>
> I have had mine for a few years now and use it pretty much every day.
> The battery life is excellent, the 40GB disk is big enough, and it is
> fairly bullet-proof.

I have one of these:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/product_X5_feature.php

It too is bullet-proof and also Linux compatible. I once dropped it from
a height of 1.5m onto tarmac and it literally sparked; it barely marked
the case and functionality was not impaired at all!

I think it does everything you're after, and gets my recommendation*.

<quote>
iAUDIO provides direct encoding by which you can record output from an
external audio device at a 1:1 ratio. This means that you can connect
the recording terminal and the output terminal of an external audio
device with a bi-directional stereo cable for recording. Using this
feature, you can receive the direct input from audio devices such as a
walkman, MD (mini disk), old LP phonograph, or TV, and record them with
iAUDIO.
</quote>

Sean

* two things bug me slightly:
(1) the headphone jack is on the side of the unit
(2) you need to use an adapter to charge and manage it (I suspect this
was to keep the size of the unit down for portability)