Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Portable Audio Recording advice sought
On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 22:19 +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> What I am after is a cheap and simple method of recording that can
> then later be transferred to computer for editing and CD or MP3
> creation. I am not after "Studio" quality. This is only spoken word.
> It would also be good to be able to record at least two hours
> uninterrupted.

My MP3 player records. It has line and optical in and can record direct
to MP3 or WAV and appears as a mass storage device under Linux, so you
can just drag/drop the files on/off the device.

It's an iRiver IHP-140 - recently rebadged as H-140. They don't sell
them new anymore as they have been replaced by newer (IMO inferior)
models.

I have had mine for a few years now and use it pretty much every day.
The battery life is excellent, the 40GB disk is big enough, and it is
fairly bullet-proof.

If this one ever goes pop I will probably buy another identical one.

To record you press the record button, to stop, you press stop. It's
pretty easy to use.

Cheers,
Al.