Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: hantslug
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x566e7100.hantslug.org.uk.17933': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 25 17:17:19 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 25 March 2007 16:21, hantslug@??? wrote:

> > Personally I do find yellow on black easier to read, than dark text on a
> > light background. I also find that a white background shows dirt and
> > marks on the board an lens that a dark background hides.
> >
> > I don't know if it's a resolution or distance effect, but remember that
> > printed text is at a resolution of 300dpi or greater, a typical VDU is
> > running at 100dpi, and a LCD projector is probably displaying text at a
> > feeble 10dpi.
> >
> > From the RNIB:
> >
> > http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/visugate/public_imp
> >si gnvi.hcsp
>
> From the above: "Cream lettering on magnolia walls is difficult for anyone
> to see. Use yellow illuminated letters on matt black backgrounds for good
> effects; or *_for painted signs, matt surfaced black on white is good_*"
>
> So yellow illumination (e.g. bus signs, train station announcements), but
> where the text is solid, not an illumination, black on white is best. This
> second is certainly my own personal experience.
>
> Projectors are of course using light, so probably count as illuminations -
> hence Adam's advice.
>
> And, of course, in non-serif fonts. Serif fonts are harder, and therefore
> slower, to read and this is relevant in a talk - one has to try to keep up.
> (I rarely succeed :-( ) And on matt surfaces.

The theory is that serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serifs. Almost all
commercially printed material in the UK (books and newspapers) are in serifs
such as a Times Roman or a Garamond. Wikipedia says that the use of
sans-serif fonts are more common in Europe than the US.

Personally I favour fonts that are in the humanist sans-serif family, such as
Gill Sans. Though I usually end up using Verdana which is only a
semi-humanist sans-serif, but because it was designed for low resolution
computer screen use it is easy to read. Apparently Tahoma and Vera
Sans/DejaVu Sans are reasonable Verdana substitutes.

See:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Font-HOWTO/
for some Linux font details.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfilment.
    -- Jean Baudrillard